Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Unexpected

It's been a really sad weekend for me.

On Thursday there was a cryptic post on Facebook and Ning regarding my school, Clayton College of Natural Health. This morning the website posted a letter stating that they are in fact closed. There is no way to submit coursework. I had 5 weeks left in a term. I didn't even get an e-mail from them.

I knew going into this degree- a Masters in Holistic Nutrition- that I was not going to Yale. Or to some top 10 school. It was without a doubt an online program. One that we could afford to pay. One that allowed me to raise my two year old, be a loving wife, a good friend, and simply around. This degree would not permit me to go into a hospital, to prescribe, or diagnose, or treat. It was a degree that would allow me to "consult" on an independent basis. To provide knowledge to those who cannot afford access. I knew that going in. The assumption I made, perhaps naively, was that I would be able to finish my coursework.

There has been so much drama on the message boards. From people who never went to CCNH. Who say we have been duped, that it was all a fraud. That distance learning is not valid.

I do feel that I have been duped. I spent the last year working extremely hard for absolutely nothing. I spent money that could have been used for groceries or diapers on books and coursework.

I feel that I worked extremely hard for my undergraduate degree in Biology. The level of work that I put in at Clayton met, if not exceeding, the work I did at a "real school." So please, don't tell me how I didn't work hard and my degree wouldn't have been worth the piece of paper it was printed on. I just don't appreciate it. It is not helpful.

I don't know what is coming next.

I'm still frustrated but I do feel that I should look at the positives of this experience- if for anything, to simply move on...


-had I not enrolled at Clayton, I would have not had the confidence to change my diet and thus change life. I have more energy now that I could have ever imagined. I had no idea that food was in fact making me sick

-I learned how to balance coursework with laundry. Essays with bedtime. Nutrition with picky eaters.

-I learned that sometimes, the least traditional route is the best for an individual. I also learned that sometimes you have to defend your choices. Defending them is not necessarily a bad thing.

-I found a professional field that I love. I found a passion. I found the topic that keeps me up at night. The topic that when I start talking about- I can't stop. I can't tell you how many times Joe was late to work because I was babbling about something I read the day before.

-I found out that my husband is willing to do whatever it takes to support my dreams. It was me who wanted to stay at home and do a self paced program. Thank you baby for being my support. Thank you for just giving me a hug and not overreacting when I told you how much money we put down the drain.




I am deeply saddened by not being able to finish this term. I will probably still read the books and maybe even do a project or two. I was really looking forward to giving out a handout on Cholesterol. (I know, I'm a geek)

I am sad for the individuals who lost way more than I did.

But I will always be grateful for the chance to learn. I will be grateful for the knowledge I gained.



Dear friends, at least for an indeterminate amount of time, you will still be able to get advice for free. I know some of you were worried about the bills showing up.

yours in health,
Lauren

4 comments:

  1. maybe you didn't get the paper but no one can ever take the knowledge away - it will all work out in the end - and God uses all things to grow us into exactly what He has planned for us. love you guys - enjoy your summer! love cindi/mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really upsetting! Sounds like you have a good perspective though! It's nice that you can appreciate the value of learning for learning's sake, even without a piece of paper that says it matters. Still really frustrating! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! And for the record, I think distance learning can be harder work than being in a classroom. It's definitely valid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to hear that you have found some positive merit in your studies, because although the college was unaccredited, the coursework was outstanding. I may not have been a student, but I do know what you are going through. I wish you all the best.

    ex-CCNH staff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Lauren. I admire your positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete