Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Montessori- Our Newest Adventure



I've been helping Bear with "school" for almost a year now- off and on that is. It's really nothing more than coloring, gluing, reading, and a trip to the zoo every now and than. It's been hard to find things that he really enjoys doing and that seem to challenge him. A two and a half year old boy only wants to paint a paper plate so many times.

Hence- the new adventure- Montessori. I figured if the schools can charge a ridiculous amount of money it might be worth a shot at home. I found a couple of used books and was waiting patiently for them to get here and they finally made it!! I thought I'd have to sift through tons of information before feeling equipped enough to do any projects- especially with all the chatter on how great the programs are- but I went ahead and skipped all the chapters and went straight to the activities.

The first activity in the book was pouring beans into jugs.

Really? That's what all the fuss is about? Pouring beans that I have in my pantry into jars that are overflowing my cabinets?

yep :) that's it :)

You have got to be kidding me.

I pulled out the jars, found the beans, and stuck them all on a tray. And he loved it. I showed him how to place his hands, how to pour, and left him alone. The book has a bunch of steps you can follow (and if your interested, find one and read it) but basically, they pour beans from one jar to another and pick up any that may have fallen. The book says it teaches patience, independence, find motor skills, and following directions to name a few. All I know is that I made lunch without someone kicking me in the shins.

Of course, there is more to the Montessori method and I have a lot to learn. But for now, we seem to have found a good fit. Easy. Affordable. Challenging enough to keep him occupied and simplest enough for him to do it himself.


Here's the info the first book I skimmed: Basic Montessori Learning Activities for Under-Fives by David Gettman 1987

1 comment:

  1. Love the Keeping Up With The Joneses title...brilliant . Hope Allison well with your gang and your shins continue to heal :-)
    Aunt Lori in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete