Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mom to Mom...

I was sort of caught of guard today.

We were at the library. Playing with the trains nicely. And more kids came. So we had to share. Which isn't always the easiest thing to do. Little Bear ended up a tad bit upset (ok, maybe really really upset.) But he didn't push anyone (which is a huge step in the right direction) and he just sat down on the floor and cried. I gave him a timeout. We took a break. Came back to play. And it happened again. He didn't want to share. (he had like 5 of the 6 trains, it wasn't an all or nothing thing).

That's when it happened.

Another mom rolled her eyes.

Now, I know what you are thinking. What's the big deal? Maybe she wasn't really rolling her eyes at you. Get over yourself, Lauren.

But we all know she was.

With my four month old in her moby wrap, three bags full of books in tow, and a screaming 3 1/2 year old, we finally made it out of the library.

And I have to be honest, I was kindof upset. Not with my toddler. We are still learning about the world. About good choices and bad choices. About how we need to share with others. About consequences. We had consequences when we got home. No movies the rest of the day. He knew that. We talked about it.

I was upset with that other mom. About how she judged me and my parenting on the spot.

Who knows what my situation was. My husband could be fighting a war in Afghanistan. My son could have developmental disabilities. It could be the first time in weeks that he didn't actually hit someone. Or I could just be a really bad parent.

I was obviously fine and none of those circumstances apply to us.

But who knows, maybe all that Mom needs is an understanding smile.



Or maybe she could just really really really use a friend.


just a thought, Mom to Mom.





No comments:

Post a Comment